Memorable dates in the history of the town of Bendery and the Bendery fortress cover the period from the X century AD from the first mention of the fortress of Tigina (Tunkatay) on the Dniester river in the Byzantine Chronicles, until 2018, when another significant stage of the reconstruction of the Bendery fortress, which began in 2007, ended. The table shows the most important, in our opinion, dates or time periods that are most important in the history of the town and the fortress itself.
Date, time period
Brief description of events in the history of the town and fortress
History of the town name (toponym)
The Slavic period X-XI centuries-Tungaty, Tyaghin;
Tatar period XIII-XIV centuries-Tekin;
the period of the Moldavian Principality of the 14th century-1538 - Tyagyanyakyacha, Tighina;
The Ottoman period 1538-1812 - Bender, Tekin.
Subsequent periods – Techno, Tighina, Bender.
Writing the town name on European maps in different periods: Tehinia, Tehyna, Teghinea, Thin, Thehinia, Tekin, Bender. In the Ottoman maps - بندر
Mention of the "empty" Tungata fortress on the Dniester river (from the Turkic Tun-Katay - "Peaceful fortress")
The Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII (913-959) wrote in one of his works, in the Chapter "About the people and the Pechenegs": "You should know that on this side of the Dniester, in the region facing Bulgaria, there are empty fortresses at the river crossing. The Pachinakits (the Pechenegs) called the first fortress Aspro (White or Belgorod, note by G. Vilkov here and further), as its stones seem quite white; the second is Tungaty fortress ( from Turkic Tun-Kathay- "Peaceful castle"), the third fortress is Krankaty (Karak-Katay - Guard (Orhei), the fourth fortress is Salmakaty (Salma-katay - Patrol (Soroca), the fifth fortress is Sakakaty (Saka-katay - - fortress on stilts) , the sixth fortress is Giuekaty (Iaiu-Katai-Military fortress). There are some signs of churches and crosses carved in sandstone in the midst of the buildings of ancient fortresses, so some people keep the tradition that the Romans once had a settlement there." We are probably talking about abandoned ones, as a result of the invasion of the Pechenegs, ancient Russian settlements or late Roman fortifications.
Inclusion of lands and Tungaty settlement with the Danube Slavs under the Prince of Svyatoslav Igorevich to Princess Olga into Kievan Rus.
Inclusion of lands and Tyagin (Tigina) settlement under the reign of Prince Volodymyrko Volodarovich into the Kingdom of Galicia.
Inclusion of lands and Slav town into the western nomad camp (ulus) of the Golden Horde (Nogay) in the administrative, subordination of the Yambulog and Katlu-Bug Hordes.
The second half of the XIII century
According to the khan’s decree letter (khan's yarlyk) issued by the Tatars, the coasts of the Black and Azov seas’ coasts are getting colonized, as well as the mouth of the Dniester river by Genoese (merchant soldiers), who begin building trading posts up the river, including trading posts of Tighina, Olkhonia (Soroca), etc.
Trading posts were used to store and protect goods coming from the upper Dniester river, mainly from Poland, and then transport them to Akkerman and further to Kafa: mostly grain, slaves, and cattle. For transportation, wooden flat-bottomed vessels called galleys were used, with a total load capacity of up to 12 tons.
The entry of Tighina (Tyagyanyakyacha) into the Moldavian Principality under the Lord Roman. I, the father of Alexander the Good, as a border and customs point at the crossing of the Dniester river.
October 8, 1408
The first chronicle mention of the town in the status of a customs point on the crossing under the name Tyagyanyakyacha in the Charter of the Moldavian Lord Alexander the Good, granting benefits to Lviv merchants.
The document lists the customs points of the Moldovian state, where merchants from Lviv must pay the duty. In the document the town of Bendery was called Tyagyanyakyacha and was mentioned three times. The text of the Letter was written in old Slavic, on parchment and secured with a bull seal with the image of a bull's head.
The Moldavian Lord Stephen the Great’s visit to the town of Tighina, who also attended a service at the local oldest Orthodox Assumption Church.
There is a description of the Church as a simple house with walls made of poles covered with clay.
After the capture of Kilia and Belgorod by the Ottomans, the Genoese abandoned their trading posts, including Tighina.
They moved to their trading post Olkhonia (Apron), later the fortress of Soroca, from where they soon returned to their homeland in Italy, not expecting further expansion of Turkey into the Moldavian Principality. Thus ended the Genoese presence in our region.
By order of the Turkish Sultan Bayezid II, on the site of the crossing on the Dniester river and of the future Bendery fortress, Gedik-Ahmet Pasha built a stone tower.
Later, according to sources, in 1520 it was destroyed by the Cossacks. Since this period, the settlement of Tighina was included in the area of influence of the Crimean and Budjak Tatars who are vassals of the Ottoman Empire.
Under Sultan Selim I Yavuz (Grozny), construction (reconstruction) of the citadel began, most likely the first octagonal (Armenian) tower was built (rebuilt)
Kampenhausen writes about it in his notes (1789): "there are 2 inscriptions on the inner wall of the castle or Ancient fortress (Itsch Kalasy). One of them is half-erased, except for a few words and the year of the Hijra. The other is written in Arabic and translates as: "Built by order of the Istanbul padeshah Bayezid [Beyza-Devoly] under the rule of the padeshah, Sultan Selim khazi [Selim I, Yavuz (Grozny)1512-1520 AD."
After the fall of the capital of the Moldavian Principality of Suceava, as a result of the military campaign of the Turkish Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent to Moldova, at the request of the Tatar Khan Sahib Giray, a stone fortress was laid on the site of the former Genoese trading post, called Ben-Der. The Ottomans, having occupied the fortress, introduced their military garrison there, they began to rebuild the old Genoese fortifications here. The Suleiman mosque was being built in the Gate tower.
("Ben-Der" - in one version from the Turkish is "I want", in the second is "port town"). In the main gate of the citadel – the Gate tower a Muslim mosque in honor of Sultan Suleiman is being equipped. The date of the capture of Suceava is September 15, after which "the Turks and Tatars celebrated the capture of the capital of the Principality for 5 days". At a large meeting of the Turks with the Tatars, at the request of the latter, the Turks laid many fortresses, mainly in the Crimea, as well as on the Dniester and Dnieper.
There were shattering raids on the Turkish fortress Bender of the combined detachments of Zaporozhye Cossacks, rebellious Moldavian lords under the leadership of Alexandru Cornea, Voivode John III the Terrible, Hetman Swierczewski, Cossacks Severyn Nalyvaiko and Hryhoriy Loboda; Voivode Vasile Lupu, Hetman Kunicki and Stefan Petriceicu.
As a result of these raids, the fortress and the town were subjected to significant destruction, up to the complete burning of the trading quarters (suburb of the fortress)
The town first appeared on the map of Europe published by G. Reichersdorf, under the name Tehynie.
The establishing of a new Ottoman administrative division - Sanjak Bender (Sanjak literally translates as "military flag" from the Turkish), as a part of Silistra Eyalet (province).
In addition to the town and fortress, the Sanjak included 22 more villages, the fortress was headed by "dizdar" - the governor.
The Ottomans built a left-bank fortress designed to protect the crossing of the Dniester river and the citadel on the distant approaches.
In July, 1583 it was destroyed by a combined detachment of Cossacks and Polish troops. It was this fortress that gave the name to the future village of Parkany (parkan - fence, fencing, fortification).
To protect the fortress from constant Cossack raids, additional fortifications are being built in it and around its perimeter.
A lower fortress with three towers and two gates is being built. A dry bypass moat is also being built around the citadel with estuary towers protecting the entrance to the moat from the river side, a Watchtower, and the Main gate – the Gate tower were being reinforced with additional shell masonry. There is an installation in the middle tower of the Lower fortress of the Muslim mosque in honor of Sultan Murad III. Construction is carried out by the vassal dependent Moldavian ruler Peter the Lame, by order of the Sultan.
First half of the 17th century
Laying of a new earthen bastion fortress of a simple polygonal type; its contours can be traced even in our time.
Under the constant threat of war with Poland, the formation and construction of the outer Bastion front of the fortress with a dry bypass earthen moat is taking place; as well as the formation of bastions, half-bastions, gun and rifle platforms, and other fortifications in the moat polygons. In addition to the citadel and the Lower fortress, the territory of the fortress increased to almost 70 hectares due to the suburbs of the fortress, which were covered by the new Bastion front. When planning and dividing the Bastion front, the South-Western tower of the citadel No. 1 (Corner-Medial) was taken as the basis, from which the distance to all corner bastions was equal. The Italian traveller Nicolo Barsiv wrote about the strengthening of the fortress during this period in 1639.
A visit to the fortress by the Turkish traveler Evliya Celebi, who compiled a detailed description of it, published in his "Book of Travel".
This is a fairly significant document that already described the new earthen bastion front, listed the fortress gates, mosques, etc.
Bendery became the administrative center of the Silistra Ochakov Eyalet (province), where Beylerbeyi is appointed as Governor, kadiy as a chief judge, Defterdar as a Treasurer, etc.
At the initiative of the Grand vizier Yusuf Pasha, the fortress and the town became the administrative center of the Ottoman government in the North-Western Black Sea region. Bendery also became a place of concentration of the advanced forces of the Ottoman army.
In connection with the strengthening of Russia's military power and its growing claims to the Black Sea area, as well as in connection with the powerful Tatar uprisings in Budjak, the Ottomans built a stone bastion front based on previously laid earthworks in the XVII century, in the form of a pentagonal polygon; it's a popular project of the fortification front in the European early bastion fortification, developed by Antoine de Ville, S. De Vauban, etc.
As a result of the construction of the stone moat with erscarp and counterscarp, which started from the Dniester river to the South, covered the entire castle and ended in the North in the direction of the Dniester river, there were 10 stone bastions and half - bastions, a wall along the rampart, poterns (hidden passages to the moat, a covered path on the approach to the fortress from the outside), a glacis (inclined embankment) in the bastion line, as well as fortifications outside the Bastion front (retrenchements, lodgements, etc.). Stone Gates were built along the passageways previously formed in the earthen ditch: the southern Istanbul (Constantinople) and northern Varnitsky (Yassky) ones with protective guard towers.
July 23, 1709
The Swedish King Charles XII with the remnants of the army arrived in Bendery after the defeat in the battle of Poltava, as well as the Hetman of Ukraine Ivan Mazepa with Ukrainian Cossacks and his clerk Pilip Orlik. The first Swedish camp on the left Bank of the Dniester river was equipped.
During the moving to Bendery, near Perevalochnaya, the Russian troops that were catching up with the enemy captured 16,000 Swedes and mercenaries, i.e. the part of the army that did not have time to cross. Also at Ochakov, part of the Swedish army was destroyed by the Russian cavalry of General Volkonsky. General Sparre, General Daldorer, General Gole, General Poniatowski, Chancellor Mullern, councillor Ferner, Marshal Dubin, Colonel Grothusen, envoy Fabrice, Colonel Funk, and Colonel Mentzer, as well as no more than 500-700 Swedish drabants, the king's personal guard, arrived in Bendery with Karl.
August 1, 1709
The equipment of the second camp of the Swedish King on the right bank of the river under the walls of the Bendery fortress.
This camp is depicted on the diorama in the museum of the Bendery fortress.
September 21, 1709
The Hetman of Ukraine Ivan Mazepa died (70 years old) in a private house in the suburb of Bender – in the village of Varnitsa.
Initially he was buried on the high Bank of the Dniester river in the same village, later on the initiative of P. Orlik and the nephew of Mazepa Voynarovsky was reburied in the Church of St. George in Galati (Romania). In 1878 one Russian officer claimed that visited the specified temple, But at the place of Mazepa's burial, a local nobleman was already buried, and the Hetman's ashes were reburied in the local city cemetery, and the slab from the grave was in the local Museum.
April 5, 1710
Pilip Orlik was proclaimed a new Hetman of Ukraine in exile at a gathering of Cossack elders, who concluded a military Alliance with the Crimean Khan against Russia.
April 5, 1710
The Constitution of P. Orlil was proclaimed under the walls of the Bender fortress, in the presence of the Swedish King and the seraskier of the fortress P. Orlik; it was called in historiography "Bendery constitution".
The full name of the Constitution is Pacts and Constitutions of Rights and Freedoms of the Zaporizhian Host Ukrainian.
The Swedish king Charles XII with his troop moved to the new stone camp in the village of Varnitsa.
January 31, 1711
The beginning of an unsuccessful campaign from Bender to the White Church of the army led by P. Orlik, K. Gordienko and I. Pototsky, consisting of 8 thousand Cossacks, 20 thousand Budzhak Tatars and a Swedish troop.
February 1, 1713
"Skirmish" (turmoil), an attack by a combined Tatar-Turkish army on the camp of Charles XII in the village of Varnitsa during which the king was captured and transported to Timurtash castle, in the suburbs of Andrianople (now Edirne, Turkey).
Unsuccessful campaign to the Bendery fortress of the 55-thousand Russian army, under the command of field Marshal Burhard Minich. As an adjutant to Prince Ulrich, the army included the future captain Karl von Munchausen, who proved himself in the battle with the Turks on the Belochi river (Rybnitsa district).
As a result of the confrontation of the 60,000 Turkish troops at the crossing near the village of Dubossar, the commander was forced to move along the left bank of the Dniester river from Parkany to Rybnitsa in order to organize a crossing in another place. However, due to the outbreak of the epidemic in the army, the campaign was completed. It is assumed that Munchausen, in fact, as well as the entire army of Minich could see the fortress from the side of Parkany village, while searching for a place to cross.
These events served as the basis for the future story "Flying on the cannonball over the Turkish fortress".
The siege of the fortress of Bendery by the troops of the Second Russian army, under the command of General-in-chief, count P. I. Panin. On the night of September 15-16, during a bloody assault, the fortress was taken.
Under the terms of the Treaty of Kuchuk- Kaynardzhir on July 10, 1774, the fortress was returned to the Ottoman Empire. In return, the Crimea, the fortresses and cities of Azov, Kiburn, Kerch and Yeni-Kale went to Russia. Many famous personalities took part in the storming of the fortress, such as Emelyan Pugachev and the young major, future field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov.
During the siege and assault, General Wilhelm Lebel, colonels Mathias Miller and Baron Korf were killed. Kampenhausen claimed that in 1789 he had seen the graves of Miller and Korf in the village of Varnitsa.
The siege of the fortress by Russian troops, led by field Marshal General, Prince G.A. Potemkin. On the night of November 3-4, the garrison of the fortress capitulated, and the keys to the fortress were handed over to Potemkin in his camp on the Borisovka’s heights.
However, according to Treaty of Jassy of 29 December, 1791, the fortress was again returned to the Ottoman Empire. In return, Russia was assigned the lands of the Northern Black Sea region, as well as the lands between the Southern Bug and the Dniester, Turkey abandoned its claims to Georgia, and the border in the Caucasus was established along the Kuban river.
November 29, 1790
In Bendery, the commander-in-chief of the Russian army, Prince G. A. Potemkin writes order (order) No. 1336 to General A.V. Suvorov about the transfer of command to him “over all the troops near the Danube, and about the assault on Ismail”.
A. V. Suvorov received this order in Iasi. The document itself was created in Bendery, which is indicated in the order itself. In addition, the bloodless capture of the fortress was facilitated by the fact that on September 22, 1789, Russian-Austrian troops under the command of General A.V. Suvorov and Prince F. Koburgsky in the battle of Rymnik defeated the main Turkish army under the command of the Grand Vizier Yusuf Pasha, which went to the aid of the Bendery.
Large-scale reconstruction of the fortress, under the direction of a French engineer in the Turkish service - Francois Kauffer.
The stone “clothing” of the moat was repaired along its entire length, the contour of the bastion line was changed from the North, a new fortress wall was built along the Eastern coastal plateau, in which a new gate (now Grigoryevsky) leading from the Lower fortress to the Upper one was built. In front of the Eastern part of the citadel, a crownwork (redan) is built in conjunction with two estuarine bastions-towers.
November 24, 1806
Russian army troops led by General of cavalry K. I. Meyendorff occupied the Bendery fortress without a fight; the Turkish garrison surrendered it without resistance, simply opening the fortress gates, where the Russian troops entered.
The junior captain I.P. Kotlyarevsky the future founder of the literary Ukrainian language, also took part in the capture of the fortress. As a result of Treaty of Bucharest on May 16, 1812, all the lands between the Prut and the Dniester, including Bendery, were ceded to Russia. The new border between Turkey and Russia passed along the Prut river. Bendery, as well as all the liberated lands of the Eastern part of the Moldavian Principality, became part of the Bessarabian province (region).
The first site plan of the town of Bendery has been developed.
In urban planning at the beginning of the XIX century, the random system of streets was replaced by a geometrically correct plan and regular development. Based on the classical basis of Russian urban planning at the beginning of the century, master plans were developed for such cities in Moldova as Bendery (1813), Kishinev (1834), Belti (1845), Kagul (1845), Soroki (1846) and Orhei (1888); these plans were of a rectangular grid of blocks measuring approximately 80x120 meters.
August 22, 1815
Construction of the main Cathedral Church in the town – Cathedral of the Transfiguration – was begun.
Construction was begun on the site of the former Turkish barracks. The first service in the Church was held on September 29, 1827, the painting of the Church was completed only in 1934.
April 29, 1818
The town was declared a chief town of a district. Bendery remained such a town until the abolition of the uyezds (administrative-territorial division) of Moldavia in 1949.
The town begins to be built up according to a certain plan: at a distance of 500 meters to the south of the fortress, 8 wide streets were laid parallel to the Dniester and 8 ones perpendicular. The settlement of the city took place first at the expense of the garrison, military officials and clerks, and later at the expense of Old Believers and fugitive serfs. In 1818, about 5,100 people lived in Bendery. The town was overgrown with villages of immigrants from various parts of Russia, including Ukraine and Bessarabia.
April 29, 1818
Bendery was visited by the Russian Emperor Alexander I, who gave instructions during the inspection of the fortress for its additional strengthening.
December 13-14, 1821
Russian poet A. S. Pushkin visited Bendery in search of the remains of the camp of Charles XII and the grave of Hetman Mazepa.
April 2, 1826
The Imperial consolidation of the coat-of-arms of the Bendery uyezd, used as the town’s coat-of-arms until 1918.
The construction completion of the new military temple of Alexander Nevsky in the fortress.
The construction completion of the 1st class military hospital in the fortress.
May 6, 14-15, 1828
During a trip to the theater of the Russian-Turkish war of 1828-1829, the Russian Emperor Nicholas I stayed in Bendery.
A fire brigade was set up in Bendery.
The initiator of the team was the Bendery mayor Lisitsky. A one-story building with a tower was built on Sobornaya street (now Sovetskaya). Since 1901, the free fire brigades have been replaced by full-time employees.
August 21, 1861
September 6-9, 1872
The town and fortress were visited by the Russian Emperor Alexander II, the only one of the emperors who visited the town twice.
January 20, 1871
The first fixed railway bridge across the Dniester river was opened in Bendery, connecting Bessarabia with the main territory of Russia by railway.
Opening of the town Duma (council), the town was granted the right to self-government.
On the basis of Order No. 122 of 25.04.1897, the Military Department abolished the fortress of Bendery.
The abolition of the fortress of Bendery was carried out together with the fortress and warehouse Bobruisk.
The 55th Infantry Podolsky regiment arrived in the town of Bendery for permanent deployment from Akkerman, which had a significant impact on the appearance and population of the town. It remained in Bendery until 1914.
A permanent river navigation along the Dniester river has been opened, and a river port is starting to operate in Bendery.
The construction of the military Church of the 55th infantry Podolsk regiment named after Image of Edessa was completed on Sofiyevskaya street (now Komsomolskaya).
May 27, 1900
On the town Prison square, the construction of a People’s Auditorium was carried out. In 1907 it was named Pushkin one in memory of the 70th anniversary of the death of Alexander Pushkin.
Currently, the modern prison is located on the site of the old prison castle. The auditorium has been preserved and is currently located on Kavriago street. Its state is half-ruined.
The first town newspaper – the Bessarabian Telegraph – was published; paving of bridges, introduction of electric street lighting and construction of water supply began.
August 25, 1912
In the fortress square near the Nevsky Cathedral, a monument to Russian Glory “eagle” was opened in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Patriotic War of 1812; it was made at the expense of soldiers and officers of the 55th Infantry Podolsk regiment.
In 1964, the monument was moved outside from the fortress, where it was installed near the Main Gate. It has been preserved to this day. It is located on the Panin Street (Engels).
August 1, 1914
Due to the beginning of the First World war, the troops of the Bender garrison, namely the 55th Infantry Podolsky regiment as part of the 14th division, and the 191st Largo-Kagul as part of the 48th infantry division, left for the South-Western front, distinguished themselves in the Brusilov Offensive and the Battle of Galicia.
November 28, 1914
On the initiative of the Russian naturalist Baron A. F. Stuart, the territorial museum was opened in Bendery; now it is the oldest local history museum in Pridnestrovie.
May 9, 1916
Russian Emperor Nicholas II arrived in Bendery with his family, where he reviewed the troops and visited the wounded in hospitals.
March 8, 1917
In Bendery the first Soviet of Workers’ Deputies in Bessarabia was created, and on August 28, the power of the Soviets was proclaimed.
January 26 – February 7, 1918
Defense of Bendery from the approaching Romanian troops, in which the corps under the command of G. I. Kotovsky distinguished itself. A Romanian administration was established in the town.
May 27, 1919
Bendery armed uprising against the Romanian authorities.
The uprising was fiercely suppressed by the Romanian and French occupation forces. Most of the inhabitants went to the left Bank of the Dniester river on Soviet territory.
June 28, 1940
The Red Army units led by Marshal S. K. Timoshenko entered Bendery. Entry of the town and uezd into the newly formed Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic.
A regiment of the 15th motorized division, later named Sivashsky, begins to be stationed in the fortress.
July 23, 1941
The beginning of World War II, the occupation of the town by German-Romanian troops.
The 999th separate fortress regiment of the Wehrmacht, Romanian units, intelligence and air defense forces are formed in the fortress.
August 23, 1944
In connection with the brilliantly conducted Iasi-Kishinev operation, the town of Bendery was liberated from the invaders by the troops of the 3rd Ukrainian front. The German garrison of the fortress left it without a fight. The Red Army’s offensive on the captured town began with the Kitskansky and Varnitsky bridgeheads.
July 3, 1945
The Bendery fortress is protected as an architectural and historical monument of the MSSR. At the same time, military units of the Red Army, namely the 10th Budapest Guards Rifle corps, were being introduced to the fortress.
The 2nd separate heavy combined pontoon regiment was brought into the fortress from Austria.
It remained in the fortress until 1993; it occupied the North-Western part of the fortress.
August 1, 1960
The 173rd missile brigade was created on the basis of the artillery regiment, which was stationed on the territory of the Bendery fortress until 1994.
From the American directory:
The following battalions were organized in 1970:
137th separate missile battalion (military base 44217)
920th separate missile battalion (military base 54176)
163rd separate missile battalion (military base 89589)
Disbanded in 1994 - the equipment transferred to Russia.
Headquarters: Bender, Moldavian SSR, 1961-1994 [46 50 15N, 29 29 05E] [American designation: Bender army barracks Citadel AL 2]
Equipment: 9K72 Missiles (SS-1b / c Scud) [1990 with 12 carrier vehicle]
Subordination: 14th guards combined army, 1961-1994; Occupied the South-Eastern part of the fortress and the citadel.
March 30, 1962
Bendery district was abolished, and the town of Bendery was separated into an independent administrative unit.
July 26, 1967
A new coat-of-arms of the town was adopted, which, in addition to the fortress and the Dniester river, also showed the main branches of the town's industry.
The first twin town of Bendery was the Italian city of Cavriago in the Emilia-Romagna region.
January 17, 1986
The USSR Ministry of Culture included Bendery in the list of historical cities of the Soviet Union.
September 2, 1990
Bendery entered the newly formed Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic.
June 19, 1992
Bendery tragedy is an attack on a town by the army and police units of the Republic of Moldova, which resulted in massive human casualties and destruction in the town and fortress.
July 29, 1992
A battalion of the Tula airborne division entered Bendery as peacekeepers for the ceasefire. General A. I. Lebed arrived in Pridnestrovie and Bendery.
June 19, 1993
The first trolleybus service between the towns of Bendery and Tiraspol was opened.
August 30, 1995
Bendery was awarded the Order of the Republic for the courage and heroism shown by the town residents in defending the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic from the aggression of Moldova.
November 7, 1997
The first town Bender television in Pridnestrovie (Bendery TV Studio) was broadcasted.
September 25, 2003
The modern coat-of-arms and flag of the town of Bendery were approved.
November 8, 2006
The military-historical memorial complex "Military Necropolis" (military cemetery) was created by the decree of the President of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic.
July 8, 2008
By PMR president's decree, the historical military memorial complex "Bendery fortress" was established. The citadel and the surrounding area were exempt from military units. Its reconstruction and museum and excursion activities began.
October 6, 2008
Bendery was awarded the order of Suvorov (II class) for the courage and heroism shown by the yown residents in protecting the PMR from the aggression of the nationalists of the Republic of Moldova, preserving the military-historical heritage and traditions, as well as in connection with the 600th anniversary of the first chronicle mention.
July 6, 2011
The restoration of the previously destroyed military Church of Alexander Nevsky in the fortress was completed. The first liturgy was served, the cross on the central dome was consecrated and installed.
October 8, 2018
The park, named in honor of the blessed Prince Alexander Nevsky, in the Bendery fortress on the site of the former military post was solemnly opened. The Nevsky bust was transfered to the center of the park from the church.