Publication prepared by: Georgy Vilkov
The specified regiment traces its history from the Tarnopol Infantry Regiment, which was formed on October 29 , 1811, like many regiments then, before the war with Napoleon. Due to the fact that the Bendery regiment leads its seniority from the Tarnopol regiment, it is necessary to briefly dwell on its history. The Tarnopol regiment was formed from two companies of the Uglitsky, three companies of the Moscow, two companies of the Arkhangelsk and one company of the Kazan garrison regiments. It was formed in the city of Moscow as part of three battalions.
He took an active part in the Patriotic War of 1812, in the battles at the Shevardinsky redoubt and directly at Borodino-on the Semenov flushes. On October 5, 1815, the Tarnopol Regiment was renamed the Zhytomyr Infantry Regiment and under this name is well known to the Pridnestrovians and especially to the Tiraspol residents, in whose city it was deployed for a long time and had a significant impact on the development and history of the city of Tiraspol. On January 28, 1833, the Zhitomir regiment was renamed the Chasseurs and, already as part of the 14th division, took part in the Hungarian company of 1849 and in the defense of Sevastopol in 1855-1856.
Now, in fact, we are talking about the history of the Bendery Infantry Regiment itself, the main “parent” of which was the Zhytomyr Regiment. In 1856, the fourth battalion of the Zhytomyr Infantry Regiment was expelled to the reserve troops with deployment in the city of Tiraspol. In 1863, on April 6, the Zhytomyr Reserve Infantry Regiment was formed from this fourth reserve battalion and indefinite leave , consisting of two battalions with the first commander, Colonel Godorozhy-Chikolenko. On August 13 of the same year, this regiment, equipped with another battalion, was renamed Bendery regiment. It was named in honor of the heroic city of Bendery and was first equipped with recruits from the city of Bendery and the Bendery district. On March 25, 1864, when all infantry regiments received numbers, the named regiment became known as - 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment and, already under his permanent name and number, he continued his service in the Russian Imperial Army, until 1917. Although the regiment was formed according to one version in Tiraspol, according to another in Bendery, the city of Kyiv became the place of its subsequent permanent deployment. During the formation of the Bendery regiment, the St. George banner, received by the former fourth battalion of the Zhytomyr regiment for the defense of Sevastopol in the Crimean War, was transferred to its first battalion. The banner was standard, with a green cross and black corners. The second and third battalions received their own colors. The newly formed regiment took its first baptism of fire in the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878, participating in the liberation of the Balkans from the Ottoman yoke. As you know, the regiments, before setting out on a campaign across the Danube, had their first training camp near Tiraspol and Bendery, and the main review of the troops was personally conducted by the Emperor in the city of Chisinau.
The regiment took part in this war as part of the so-called Ruschuksky detachment, as part of the 12th Corps, commanded personally by Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich. According to the combat schedule, the Bendery Infantry Regiment itself, together with the 131st Tiraspol Infantry Regiment, became part of the 33rd Infantry Division (commander Major General A.A. Timofeev), the 2nd Brigade (commander Major General A. H. Sheleikhovsky, then Colonel V.N. Nazimov). The Bendery regiment itself, during this company, was first commanded by the above-mentioned Colonel Nazimov, and then Colonel V.Ya. Shelkovnikov. It should be noted right away that from that time until its disbandment in 1918, the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment will constantly be part of the 33rd Infantry Division, in the 2nd Brigade, together with the 131st Tiraspol Infantry Regiment; the 1st brigade of the division will include the 129th Bessarabian infantry regiment and the 130th Kherson.
In June 1877, the Bendery regiment, as part of its detachment, crossed the Danube River and, having taken their positions near the Ruschuk fortress, began to prepare for its assault. However, the protracted siege of Plevna by the main troops of the Russian army forced the corps to take a wait-and-see attitude. The commander of the garrison of the Ruschuk fortress, Turkish General Mehmed Ali Pasha, having determined that the Ruschuk detachment of Russians was inferior to him in numbers, decided to go on the offensive himself, break through the defensive position of the Russian army and move to Plevna to help the besieged Turkish troops. Before the start of the offensive, the Turks made numerous small attacks on the defensive line and revealed its weak point right in the center, near the villages of Katselevo and Ablovo. It was there that the Turks sent their main blow. Just near the village of Katselevo, from July 24, the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment were deployed, while the 1st was sent to serve at the main apartment of the commander of the Ruschuk detachment. Near the neighboring village of Ablovo, there were other infantry regiments of the 33rd division.
On August 23, when the Katselevo-Ablovsky battle took place, in addition to the battalions of the Bendery Regiment, there were 3 more squadrons of dragoons, 3 hundreds of Cossacks and the 5th battery of the 33rd artillery brigade in the Katselevo position. This entire defensive position was commanded by Major General Arnoldi. During the whole day -August 23, there was a strong heat, the cavalrymen sent to reconnaissance reported to Arnoldi that huge forces of the Turkish army were accumulating against Katselevo. Two companies of Bendery residents were immediately sent to guard guards. In the evening, a thunderstorm broke out, and a heavy downpour began, which went on all night - people without tents got wet, the trenches were filled with water. All night the Russians were expecting an attack on their positions, however, apart from gunfire, nothing happened in the area of the outposts.
In the morning, a message was received that 2 battalions of the Kherson infantry regiment and a battery of the 33rd artillery brigade, sent from under the village of Ablovo, came to the aid of the Katselevsky detachment. As soon as dawn broke, the entire detachment took up the battle line and, having no reserves and reinforcements, prepared for the Turkish attack. At 6 o'clock in the morning, dense columns of the Turkish division of Fuad Pasha appeared in full view of the Russian positions. The artillery immediately opened fire on them, but due to the long distance, the shells did not reach the Turks. Soon, reinforcements arrived at the Bendery people. The Turks also rolled out their artillery batteries and opened fire on the detachment's positions.
Soon, the first Turkish rifle chains appeared between the artillery, which moved towards Katselevo. A gunfight began. At about 8 o'clock in the morning, 9 battalions of the first Turkish line went on the attack. The hurricane oncoming fire of the Arnoldi detachment forced the Turkish battalions to stretch out into rifle chains, which began to rapidly thin out. Fuad Pasha sent another 10th battalion to help them. Another 10 Turkish battalions stood in reserve. Despite the superior forces of the Turks, the Bendery people successfully fired back and the Turkish lines either rolled into the positions of the Russians, then, losing people, again rolled back. So two hours of uninterrupted fighting passed, as a result of which the Turks, suffering huge losses, retreated and even left the crest of the hollow they had occupied. After some time, another brigade of Turkish infantry arrived to help Fudu Pasha, and a little later a whole fresh division approached him.
Having received such strong reinforcements, the Turks immediately rushed to the offensive. The strongest fire of 32 Turkish artillery guns concentrated on the artillery positions of the Russian detachment, the commander of the artillery battery was killed almost immediately. The damaged battery was hastily replaced with a new one and taken to the second line. Meanwhile, huge masses of Turks attacked the right flank of the Bendery positions from the front and flank. General Arnoldi, seeing such a significant superiority in the enemy's forces, gave the command to retreat to the second line of defense, which was located 500 meters from the first. The right flank, holding the line, retreated to this second position, and 2 companies of Bendery remained to cover the retreat of the artillery brigade. The battle developed into a hand-to-hand fight, all-guns, sabers, knives, butts, fists were used. Blood flowed like a river, many Bendery residents said goodbye to their lives during this battle, more than half of the companies were left without company commanders and officers. The commanders of the 6th, 11th and 2nd rifle companies were killed: Captain Uzemblo, lieutenant Minaev and lieutenant Bezrodnov; the commanders of the 8th, 9th and 3rd companies were wounded: lieutenant Lashkevich, staff captain Drobyazgin and lieutenant Ostapovich.
Despite this, the companies continued to fight under the leadership of junior officers, sergeants, and even non-commissioned officers. The Turks continued to press on the middle of the Katselev position, not leaving the flanks alone. The Turkish cavalry also rushed to the left flank in order to cut off the retreat of the detachment to the village of Ostritsa, but fell under the sabers of dragoons and Cossacks and, unable to withstand their onslaught, retreated. At about 12 noon, the Turkish commander Mehmed Ali Pasha personally arrived on the battlefield and, from that moment, there was more consistency and order in the actions of the Turks. The battle lasted up to 2 hours with varying success, however, in view of the fact that the Turks continued to roll in huge masses, the Katselevsky detachment was forced to retreat. The Russian artillery, having withdrawn from its position, using the rough terrain, began to retreat to Ostritsa, and the companies of the Bendery regiment covered this withdrawal, lining up in chains and opening rifle fire at the enemy. At this time, the Tiraspol regiment with its gun batteries appeared in full view of the enemy, hastily sent for reinforcements to Katselevo from the village of Ablovo. Also, strong artillery fire was opened on the enemy from the direction of Ablovo, which forced the Turks to immediately suspend the offensive, which they continued only with small infantry units and cavalry. The enemy, having regrouped, transferred all his main forces from Katselevo to Ablovo, where a bloody battle ensued.
The Bendery regiment began to gradually gather in battle formations already near the village of Ostritsa. Thus ended the battle for the village of Katselevo. The task entrusted to the Katselevsky detachment - to reveal the main forces of the enemy and delay him for some time, was fully completed, and although the village of Katselevo, for which he had to pay a heavy price, went to the Turks, the Russian detachments fully justified the hopes of the Commander-in-Chief placed on them. The people of Bendery will later proudly remember this battle on August 24, when a small detachment of Russian troops for 7 hours fought an unequal battle with almost three divisions of the Turks, supported by a large number of artillery and cavalry detachments and, only after a stubborn defense, was exhausted and overwhelmed by the enemy’s numbers , slowly and orderly retreated to previously prepared positions. At the same time, not a single artillery piece was lost, not a single wounded and not a single trophy was left to the enemy.
In this battle, the people of Bendery lost 3 officers and 104 lower ranks killed, 6 officers and 276 lower ranks wounded. The behavior of the soldiers and officers of the regiment in this battle was beyond praise - many, being wounded, did not leave their positions and continued to fight, serving as an example of how a Russian soldier remembers the oath and fulfills his military duty to the Sovereign and the Motherland.
Bendery Infantry Regiment for the battle on August 24 Highly complained: St. George's silver trumpets with the inscription to the 1st battalion: "For Ablovo on August 24, 1877»; 2nd and 3rd battalions St. George banners with the same inscription. The banners were white, with green circles in the corners.
November 14, 1877 The Bendery regiment, as part of its division, being in the positions of Trestenik, participated in repelling Turkish attacks aimed at the villages of Mechka and Trestenik.
November 30, 1877 the regiment repulsed the attack of the Turks for the second time, directed at the same positions. After a stubborn battle, the Bendery regiment, like other regiments, at the signal of the Grand Duke, quickly launched a counteroffensive and fought with the Turks at bayonets. The Turks could not withstand this attack and without exception turned to flight. This was the last attempt by the Turks to break through the Russian defensive position in that direction. In this battle, the people of Bendery lost 7 lower ranks killed and 1 officer and 77 lower ranks wounded.
The combat service of the regiment in this company ended there. The Bendery regiment, after the conclusion of peace, remained in the territory liberated from the Turks and conducted its daily service, and in the middle of 1879 returned to Russia and camped on Syrets near the city of Kiev.
On August 24, 1879, the Bendery Infantry Regiment was reorganized into the 4th battalion and the newly formed 4th battalion was assigned the simple banner of the former 8th reserve battalion of the Zhytomyr Infantry Regiment. Thus, the regiment had four banners, three of which were St. George's.
After the Russian-Turkish war, the regiment as part of the Kyiv military district lived a quiet peaceful life for 28 years, but 1904 came, the year the war between Russia and Japan began. It so happened that the Bendery Infantry Regiment during this war did not become part of the active army, but some of the officers and lower ranks were sent to the Far East. So, the 2nd company of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment in full strength, under the command of the company commander, Captain Trokhimovich 1st and junior officers-lieutenant Karpinsky and Lieutenant Prokhvatilov, formed the 1st company of the newly formed 27th East Siberian Rifle regiment and was sent to protect Port Arthur. Many former residents of Bendery laid down their lives in the distant fields of Manchuria and in the defense of the fortress of Port Arthur. During the defense of the redoubt, Lieutenant Prokhvatilov was killed.
Captain Trokhimovich, who was promoted to lieutenant colonel for his heroism in battles with the Japanese, on August 8, 1904, in the battle for the "Angular" mountain, was wounded by a shrapnel bullet through and through, but remained in the ranks. According to eyewitnesses, Trokhimovich constantly attracted the attention of his colleagues and superiors. Here is how the Leisure and Business magazine for February 1908 writes about him: “... he stood on an elevated place with his hand tied with a towel, as he was seriously wounded, despising all dangers, continued to command. Dozens of shells fell near him, and when a high-explosive shell exploded near him, from a lot of thick smoke this faithful servant of the Tsar became completely invisible in the smoke; at that time everyone thought that only one memory remained of Lieutenant Colonel Trokhimovich. But now the smoke begins to dissipate, it becomes clearer and clearer, and the shadow of the lieutenant colonel begins to appear, the heart begins to beat with joy, and finally we see the lieutenant colonel, standing motionless, resting his bare saber on the ground. On November 17, in the battles on the "Flat Mountain", Lieutenant Colonel Trokhimovich was wounded again and, unfortunately, already mortally - he died when he was taken to the naval hospital. Speaking of the Bendery people killed in the war with the Japanese, it is necessary to mention the staff captain Vrochensky. For a long time he sought his transfer to the active army, but without waiting for the decision of the command, he took a vacation and departed for Manchuria at his own expense. Upon arrival, he was enlisted in the 35th East Siberian Rifle Regiment, received three awards for distinction in cases against the Japanese, and was killed on January 14, 1905 during an attack on the village of Bezymyannaya.
On September 1, 1905, the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment was hastily sent to the city of Baku to suppress unrest, where it remained until February 1909, after which it was returned to the city of Kiev.
On October 20, 1911, on the day of the centenary of the regiment, for loyalty and devotion to the Throne of the regiment, the Highest was granted a new St. segment of St. George's ribbon. The border of the banner was dark green, the banner had a pommel of the 1867 model and a black shaft. On the Alexander jubilee ribbon there were inscriptions: “1911” and “1811 Tanopolsky Infantry Regiment”.
Collecting further any information about the participation of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment in the First World War is quite difficult, as well as, in principle, about other regiments, due to the lack of specific sources. It is only known that the regiment on the eve of the war was stationed there in Kiev and was part of its 33rd division as part of the 21st Army Corps, which distinguished itself during the "Gorlitsky" breakthrough of the German-Austrian troops from May 2 to May 15, 1915, when In the general retreat of the Russian troops, the 21st Corps was able to go on the counteroffensive on the flank and in some places of the front to overthrow the enemy.
From the sources currently available, it is known in which operations of the First World War this regiment is mentioned:
- Polish bag (loss of Poland) 07/15/1915 - 09/02/1915
- Siege of Przemysl 09/17/1914 - 10/11/1914
- 1st offensive of the Austro-German troops 05/02/1915 - 05/23/1915
- 2nd offensive of the Austro-German troops 06/15/1915 - 06/22/1915
The capture of Lvov by Russian troops. As part of the operation:
- Galician operation 09/03/1914 - 09/03/1914
Counter battle of the 3rd Russian and 3rd Austro-Hungarian armies on the Golden Linden River. As part of the operation:
- Galician operation 08/26/1914 - 08/28/1914
Galich-Lvov operation. As part of the operation:
- Galician operation 09/01/1914 - 09/15/1914
- Gorlitsky breakthrough and the beginning of the retreat of Russian troops 05/02/1915 - 06/22/1915
- Mitava operation 01/23/1917 - 02/10/1917
Journal of military operations of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment from July 26, 1914 to February 10, 1915
Other information about the shelf
The camp church of the regiment, named after St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, has existed since 1863. This church accompanied the regiment in the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878. Until 1883, worship for the ranks of the regiment was carried out in the diocesan Kyiv city church, and since that time the regimental church was located in the barracks belonging to the city, on the Kadetskoye Highway . The church was small, accommodating up to 300 people. In the church there were many icons skillfully painted by the former private of the Bendery regiment Alexander Uglinsky. According to the state, one priest was appointed in the church.
- from August 13, 1863 - Colonel Godorozhy-Chikolenko Pavel Semenovich;
- from January 28, 1865 - Colonel Kramer;
- from January 15, 1866 - Colonel Timofeev;
- from March 15, 1866 - Colonel Chemerzin Alexander Yakovlevich;
- from 01/01/1867 - after 02/08/1869 - adjutant wing, colonel Timofeev, Alexey Alekseevich
- from December 3, 1870 - Colonel Nazimov Vladimir Nikolaevich;
- from October 23, 1877 - Colonel Shelkovnikov Vladimir Yakovlevich;
- from December 25, 1879 - colonel Golubev, Fedor Fyodorovich;
- from December 20, 1881 - Colonel Ivanov Nikolai Dmitrievich;
- from November 12, 1889 - colonel Rekhenberg, Nikolai Alexandrovich;
- from January 26, 1898 - Colonel Poltarzhitsky Joseph Suleimanovich;
- from October 31, 1899 - Colonel Yurgens Konstantin Danilovich;
- from February 7, 1904 - Colonel Tolmachev Ivan Nikolaevich;
- from June 30, 1907 - Colonel Ivanov Nikolai Grigorievich;
- from January 18, 1914 - colonel Chernov Nikolai Pavlovich;
- from December 17, 1915 - Colonel Alexander Andreevich Kotelnikov;
- from 02/08/1917 - 12/15/1917 - Colonel Ryabchevsky Ivan Nikolaevich
Timeline of regimental actions
- 1863-1864 - participation in the suppression of the Polish rebellion;
- November 2, 1876 - mobilization of the regiment;
- December 7, 1876 - the performance of the regiment to the border of Russia with Romania;
- June 23, 1877 - forcing the Danube River and entering Turkey;
- July 9, 1877 - battle at Kady-Kioi;
- August 24, 1877 - battle near the villages of Katselevo and Ablovo;
- September 9, 1877 - battle near the village of Buzovtsy;
- September 12, 1877 - battle near the village of Iovan-Cheflik;
- November 14, 1877 - battle near the village of Trostenik;
- November 30, 1877 - battle near the village of Trostenik and Mechka;
- January 11, 1787 - movement around the Turkish army near the village of Kadikioy;
- January 19, 1878 - taxation and siege of the Ruschuk fortress;
- February 8, 1878, after the conclusion of peace, entry into the Ruschuk fortress and its environs;
- March 9, 1878 - the movement of the regiment to Rakhovo, between Ruschuk and Silistria;
- June 6, 1878 - entry into Silistria;
- October 7, 1878 - the promotion of the regiment to Varna;
- October 23, 1878 - the movement of the regiment to Rumelia in the city of Burgas;
- March 12, 1879 - the regiment was assigned to the occupation detachment;
- July 29, 1879 - the return of the regiment to Kyiv;
- September 17, 1879 - the transition of the regiment to Radomysl;
- April 29, 1880 - the return of the regiment to Kyiv;
- August 1, 1905 - mobilization of the regiment;
- September 1, 1905 - the promotion of the regiment to the city of Baku;
- April 21, 1906 - the movement of the regiment to the Kutaisi province with quartering in the city of Ozurget, Poti, the town of Novo-Senaki, Zugdida and Chekhatura;
- February 14, 1909 - the return of the regiment to the city of Kyiv.
Regimental and company holidays:
Regimental holiday of the regiment - May 9
Regimental holidays mouth regiment:
- 1st company - December 6;
- 2nd company - October 1;
- 3rd company - November 8;
- 4th company - April 22;
- 5th company - February 12;
- 6th company - April 23;
- 7th company - April 23;
- 8th company - November 8;
- 9th company on October 22;
- 10th company - August 30;
- 11th company - November 8;
- 12th company - December 6;
- 13th company - Day of the Holy Spirit;
- 14th company - May 8;
- 15th company - August 30;
- 16th company - April 23;
- Non-combatant company - April 23;
- Musical team - 6 December.
Notable people who served in the regiment
Egorov Alexander Ivanovich - Marshal of the Soviet Union. Born in the family of a tradesman in the city of Buzuluk. He studied at the Samara gymnasium. In the army since 1901. Graduated from the Kazan Infantry Junker School. In 1905-1907, as part of the Bendery Infantry Regiment, he participated in the dispersal of workers' strikes and demonstrations in Baku. During the First World War (1914–1918) he was shell-shocked and wounded 5 times; colonel and cavalier of 7 orders, 2 medals and St. George's weapons. In 1917 he became a member of the Social Revolutionary Party (Left SR). November 20, 1935 he was awarded the title of Marshal of the Soviet Union. Later, Alexander Ilyich Yegorov was arrested and undeservedly repressed; on February 23, 1939, he was shot. April 10, 1956 rehabilitated.
Makaev (Makashvili) Ilya Zakharovich, prince (12/4/1857 - not earlier than 1917), major general. From the princes of the Tiflis province. He was educated at the Kyiv Vladimir military gymnasium and graduated from the course at the Kiev infantry cadet school in the 2nd category. Entered service 08/18/1873 non-commissioned officer in the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment. On June 17, 1874, he was sent to the Kiev Infantry Junker School, a harness-junker. On July 17, 1877, he was promoted to ensign with a transfer to the 76th Kuban Infantry Regiment. Member of the Russian-Turkish war of 1877–1878: from August 17 to September 19, 1877 in the Sukhum detachment, from January 1 to September 1, 1878 in the Erivan detachment. On May 18, 1878, he was transferred to the 156th Elisavetpol Infantry Regiment and assigned to serve in the 76th Kuban Infantry Regiment. On November 20, 1878, he was seconded back to his regiment. On August 27, 1879, he was promoted to lieutenant with seniority from February 11, 1879. On December 16, 1881, he was promoted to lieutenant, and on August 24, 1888, for distinction in service, to staff captain. On March 25, 1891, the regiment was renamed the 156th Yelisavetpol Infantry Regiment, General Prince Tsitsianov. On 07/01/1893 he was promoted to captain with seniority from 03/15/1893. He successfully completed the course of the officer's rifle school in Oranienbaum (09/04/1899). On February 26, 1901, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel with a transfer to the 155th Cuban Infantry Regiment. Member of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904–1905, was wounded in the right hand, in the cheek and neck by shrapnel fragments near the village of Khanchen, shell-shocked in the head and right side of the body near the city of Liaoyang. For combat distinction, he was promoted to colonel with seniority from 15.08.1904. From 22.4.1905 to 14.1.1914 - commander of the 18th Siberian Rifle Regiment. For distinction in service, he was promoted to major general with seniority from 01/14/1914. As of April 1914, he was commander of the 2nd brigade of the 6th infantry division. Member of the First World War, commander of a brigade of the 56th Infantry Division, 23/9/1914 near the town of Vladislavov was shell-shocked in the head. Cavalier of orders: St. Stanislav 2nd class with swords and St. Anna 2nd class with swords (1904), St. Vladimir 4th class with swords and bow (1906), St. Vladimir 3- 1st degree (1909), St. Stanislav 1st degree with swords and St. Vladimir 2nd degree with swords, awarded with golden weapons. On August 4, 1917, a combat certification and a candidate list for Major General Prince I. Z. Makaev were sent to the 5th Army Corps with a request to nominate him to the post of division chief. (RGVIA. F. 1300. Op. 7. D. 6037. Service record, 29.4.1903; F. 2148. Op. 2. D. 370. L. 104–105).
Tsygalsky Mikhail Viktorovich - Major General. Orthodox. Graduated from the 2nd Cadet Corps, Mikhailovskoye art. school, Academy of the General Staff (1903; 1st category). He entered the service on 08/31/1891. He was released from the school as a second lieutenant (Article 08/08/1894) in the 3rd Guards. art. brigade. Lieutenant (Art. 12/06/1898). Staff Captain Guards with renaming to the captains of the General Staff (Art. 04/09/1900). The census command of the company was serving in the 132nd infantry. Bendery regiment (10/28/1903-09/21/1904). Member of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05. Art. adjutant of the headquarters of the 9th army. corps (12/21/1904-06/02/1905; 6 months); He was seconded to the Novocherkassk Cossack School for teaching military sciences (05/11/1909-03/22/1914). He served in the 96th Omsk Infantry Regiment (April 28-09/02/1913) as a battalion commander. Colonel (Art. 12/06/1911). From March 22, 1914 to January 14, 1915, he served as chief of staff of the 28th Infantry Division. He commanded the 160th Abkhaz Infantry Regiment (since 01/14/1915; 1 year 8 months). He was awarded the St. George weapon (VP 03/18/1915; for distinction by the chief of staff of the 28th Infantry Division). Chief of Staff of the 83rd Infantry Division (since 09/30/1916; 8 months). Major General (pr. 07/24/1916; item 03/12/1916; for military distinctions). Chief of Staff of the 31st Army Corps (05/12/06/02/1917). From 06/02/1917 until demobilization he commanded the 130th Infantry Division. Voluntarily joined the Red Army. On 12/25/1918-05/08/1919 chief of staff of the 7th Army; head of the department of formations of the 7th Army; Inspector of the 7th Army (since 11/09/1919); infantry inspector Pgr. VO (from 04/12/1921). Included in the lists of the General Staff of the Red Army on 07/15/1919 and 08/07/1920. Staff teacher of the Higher Military Petrograd Pedagogical School. 05/29/1922 admitted to acting. assistant head of the Education Department of the same school. Died in Leningrad. Awards: Order of St. Anne 4th class. (1906); St. Stanislaus 3rd Art. with swords and a bow (1907); St. Anne 3rd Art. (1908); St. Stanislaus 2nd class (06.12.1912); St. Anne 2nd Art. with swords (VP 06.11.1914); swords to St. Stanislaus 2nd Art. (VP 09.11.1916).
Tolmachev Ivan Nikolaevich, Major General. In 1886 he entered the Nikolaev Academy of the General Staff, from which he graduated in the first category (1889). Author of a scientific work devoted to the military-strategic description of Polissya. He served in the Kiev military district in various staff positions, was a senior adjutant of the district headquarters, served as chief of staff of the 2nd Cossack consolidated division. Since 1904 - commander of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment, directed to the Caucasus (Ozurgety). During the years of the revolution of 1905, being the head of an expeditionary detachment, he distinguished himself by a decisive struggle against revolutionary organizations in the Kutaisi province. For success in restoring order, he was promoted to major general (1907) and appointed to the post of duty general of the headquarters of the Caucasian Military District. He served under the governor of the Caucasus, Count I. I. Vorontsov-Dashkov, for some time he served as the military governor-general of Guria and Mingrelia. At the end of 1907, he was transferred to the post of chief of staff of the 16th army corps of the Vilna military district, but almost immediately (December 2, 1907), at the personal insistence of P. A. Stolypin, Tolmachev was appointed mayor of Odessa. In the position of Odessa mayor, he patronized the right-monarchist organizations of the city. On the eve of the First World War, he lived in Kaluga. He was a supporter of the unification of the RNC and the All-Russian Dubrovinsky Union of the Russian People. After the February Revolution of 1917, he was under investigation by the Extraordinary Investigative Commission of the Provisional Government, in connection with the fact that in 1907 in Odessa the murder of a “Turkish citizen of the Ishes Motel”, allegedly committed by the Black Hundreds at his suggestion, was committed. He emigrated to France, where he died in 1932 and was buried in the Russian cemetery.
Funds of the Russian State Russian Military Historical Archive:
"132nd infantry Bendersky regiment". Fund 2746. “1879-1918”, 75 items (correspondence, orders, combat logs, etc.)
I would like to end the history of the regiment with the words of one of the officers of the Bendery regiment: “May, under the shadow of the new St. George banner granted to us by the Sovereign Emperor, the future service of the Bendery people will valiantly flow, drawing strength for military exploits in the glorious examples of their ancestors, who have repeatedly proved at the cost of their lives their devotion to the Tsar and Motherland!
- Kravchenko A.P. The combat past of the Bendery people 1811-1911. (Brief memo for the lower ranks of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment. Excerpts from the history of the regiment). Printing house "Frugality". SPb., 1912;
- A Brief History of the 132nd Bendery Infantry Regiment. Printing house R.K. Lubkovsky. Kyiv, 1911;
- Grenadier and infantry regiments. Edition 2nd. Reference Book of the Imperial Headquarters. Edited by V.K. Shenk. St. Petersburg, 1909;
- Military encyclopedia. Edited by V.F. Novitsky and others - St. Petersburg: Sytin Publishing House, 1911-1915.-V.4;
- Genov, Tsonko. Russian-Turkish war 1877-1878 and the feat of the liberators. - Sofia: Sofia Press, 1979;
- Collection of materials on the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-78. Issue 87. Monthly information on the numerical state of the military units of the army with lists of commanding persons. SPb., 1911;
- Encyclopedic Dictionary F.A. Brockhaus and I.A. Efron. - St. Petersburg. Brockhaus-Efron. 1890-1907;
- K. A. Zalessky. World War I. Rulers and commanders Biographical encyclopedic dictionary. 2000;
- V.A. Egorshin, Field Marshals and Marshals. M., 2000;
- Marshals of the Soviet Union: personal affairs are told. M., 1996
- Kavtaradze A.G. Military experts in the service of the Republic of Soviets. M., 1988;
- List of generals by seniority. Compiled on 07/10/1916. Petrograd, 1916.
 Dates are in the old style.
 Perpetual or indefinitely vacation pay - consisting on leave from military service, but without a term, and henceforth until conscription.
 Raw – Currently, a residential area in the Shevchenkovsky district of the city Kyiv. It stretches between the Petrovskaya railway, Tiraspolskaya street, the beginning of Tagilskaya, Verboloznaya and Petropavlovskaya streets, etc. The Syrets river has survived to this day in the form of a stream, chained in a concrete collector.
 Now Povitroflotskoye Highway.